Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Body Mass Index (BMI)

Yes I am dedicating a whole post to the Body Mass Index better known as BMI. Why you may ask...its important. Let me just start off by saying I think its so imperative that instead of saying I want to lose x amount of weight my goals is to achieve a certain BMI (this is still based on weight, but this allows me to have a range of weight I will consider versus and hard and fast number).

Let me just give everyone basic information about BMI and then we will get to why its important to health and minority health.

BMI Categories:

  • Underweight = <18.5 (Thi can lead to health problems too!)
  • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
  • Overweight = 25-29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
The above BMI Scale information can be found here.

My goal BMI is <26 (As of right now my BMI is 32 which puts me in the obesity range! Shocked?). You're thinking that will still mean I am overweight right, but there are other factors to consider along with BMI (i.e. % of body fat, size of a person frame, physical fitness level, etc). Since I have a medium/large frame, as long as I am physical fit and active a BMI of less than 26 is a good range for me. If you have questions about weight loss or what's a healthy weight for you talk to your physician/dietician.

Why is BMI important? Just ask the CDC.

As you can see from the BMI scale I posted previously, BMI separates individuals into categories based on weight. These categories are a good predictor for the amount of body fat a person is carrying. In other words, its a screening method for risk factors that may lead to health problems. For example, obesity and overweight can lead to the following health problems; hypertension, Dyslipidemia, Type-2 diabetes, Coronary heart disease, Stroke, Gallbladder disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep apnea and respiratory problems, and Some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon) (information provided by the CDC). Any of these diseases look familiar? Thats because many of these diseases already affect minorities more adversely than the majority (Some of these diseases I discussed in my last post). This is exactly why I am taking this weight loss journey, not only does being overweight make individuals more at risk for diseases like diabetes, coronary heart disease but it's also linked to cancer, gallbladder disease, osteoartharitis, etc. Researchers and doctors are not even sure why being overweight and obese are linked to some disease. The fact is that being clinically overweight/obese (whether or not u consider yourself in this category) is not good for the body. So join me and others who are trying to extend our livelihood! Let's get fit together...Ok enough with the cheesy ending.

Until next time Know your BMI!

1 comment:

  1. Natural herbs have cured so many illnesses that drugs and injections can't cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were cured of Herpes, HPV HIV/AIDS & STDs, Diabetics , Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Arthritis, Chronic pains. etc. by herbal medicine, so I decided to contact the doctor because I know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with Herpes for the past years but Dr Chike cured me with his natural herbs and I referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God be the glory, they were cured too .I know it is hard to believe but I am a living testimony. There is no harm trying natural herbs. Contact Dr on Whats-App . +233502715551. text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 , or you can also contact through his Facebook Page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

    ReplyDelete