Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sacrifies, Know Your Worth

Okay my next post was going to be later this week, and I was going to hit you with some scary statistics form the Center for Disease Control (CDC)! Of course conversations via twitter (you can follow me @CDashMoney on twitter) with my awesome friends are always giving me inspirations for blogs.

I use my twitter account to as a social networking tool, and also as a tool to send out information I find about health. I retweet a lot of information about nutrition and health that pertain mostly to minority health but usually useful to everyone. Earlier this week, I tweeted about about adding flax or nutrition sprinkles to oatmeal or cereal (can even be added to ice cream) to enhance your meal (here is the tweet if you would like more info about flax seeds eating oatmeal for breakfast is good [RT @nutritionfood Try enhancing its nutrition by adding flax or nutritious sprinkles http://www.tinyurl.com/spri...)]. You can also find more information about flax and flax seeds here.

Immediate response from a friend was that sounds nasty! It got me thinking about the how people (i.e minorities for this blog) interpret food. I think we can all agree that most people want to eat food that tastes good, but do we as minority put less emphasis on trying to eat food that are a balance of healthy and tasty? Food is suppose to provide energy and nutrients to sustain us, and yes food is suppose to taste good! Which is more important make sure everything we eat is delicious or nutritious? Both I say, but we have to have a good balance of both. I know my friends that made the comments that my suggestions sounded too much on the nutritious side are semi-adventurous eaters willing to try new things, but adding flax or sprinkles seemed out of the question?! FYI they are also pills containing flax oils you can take as well.

So I thought hmm maybe they just need someone to let them know hey this isn't too bad you should try it aka a guinea pig. Hey I don't mind...so I think we are going to add another component to the blog here. So I am going to try not to just dish out all this nutritional tips without actually trying it myself in order to encourage others to do the same. Hopefully we can get some positive responses on many of these nutritional tips.

I do want to say that I am so willing to try things that are good for my health. With a family history of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and breast cancer I am willing to make the necessary scarifies for better health and longevity. I want to send that message out to my fellow minorities, because most likely you have a similar family history or as a minority you are more likely to develop these conditions I listed (I will post some shocking CDC statistics soon about this). Convincing others to join in my health revolution is another battle I am willing to undertake!

Until next time try some Flax!

No comments:

Post a Comment