Monday, April 27, 2009

Exam Week Nutrition

As a former college student, I can attest to the horrendous regiment I went through doing exam week. At my former college, exam week was predated by a so called Dead Week where no exams or assignments are allowed unless they were assigned on the syllabus at the beginning of the semester. Usually Dead Week, which should be the time most are studying for exams, was the busiest week of the semester (professors would assign things during dead week on the syllabus). Last week I had a couple conversations with a friend, who was how do I saw "pigging out" on fast food. I encouraged the friend to stay away from fried/and or fast food and try to seek healthier foods available at fast food restaurants. She responded with "If I am going to Bojangles and I'm going to get some fried chicken!"

But why is the first thing we let go when we are stressed is our eating habits. Does it not seem smarter to make sure we eat healthy and get all the nutrients you need in times of stress like exam time?! We are already getting minimum sleep and eating all hours of the day! At my respective university they also opened the dining hall much later, with even less healthy options later in the night (My fav exam time food was free pancake breakfast at 12am!). I can remember freshman year of college living off coffee and the snack machine to get through my first exam week.

Let's compromise! There are some healthy options at fast food restaurants. Before I go to any new place I always check to see if they have the nutritional info for their food. Many fast food restaurants are also conforming to healthier options (ex: Low carb options at BK/McDonalds, Fresco style at Taco bell). Other than checking restaurant website you can also find other websites with more nutritional information not found online. This website is a good tool for trying to eat healthy in or out: http://www.hungry-girl.com/. All of this may sound like too much work or a pain, but I guarantee the pros outweight the cons! Another useful tip is to keep healthy foods around you during exam time. Keep fruits, veggies, healthy snacks, and water around while studying. Take your vitamins! Also when you do eat your main meals try to eat foods that are filling.

Until next time eat something Green!

2 comments:

  1. You better look out for people! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Friend. Definitely spread the word about the blog!

    ReplyDelete